The Sprout Producer Program is a one year accreditation for small Tasmanian producers, farming ethically and sustainably.
The next round of applications, for the 2019 intake, are now open!
All applications received by the due date are reviewed by a selection of Sprout board member volunteers, to ensure selection criteria has been address. This review panel then arrange to shortlist a selection of applicants who will progress to round two for interviews.
This year, there are 8 scholarships available, and recipients gain access to mentoring, networking, education and support with a value of over $4,000.
There is a co-contribution portion for all successful applicants of $285, which assists Sprout to fund the costs of each individual participant's farm field day.
Apply Now - download the application form here, complete it and return via email to email@example.com. Applications close Wednesday 12th September, at 11.59pm AEST.
The Sprout Producer Program is a one year long program includes a series of educational units including both on farm and off farm topics, farm field days and mentoring sessions to support and develop any producer to achieve their goals, creating significant future benefits for them as individuals as well as their business and the Tasmanian community.
This program is for any small producer, growing food to sell fresh or value-add or farming stock of any kind, and they can be at any stage in their journey. We have producers in the Program who are at the very beginning of their journey from idea to realisation, and we have others who have many wins on the board but are looking for guidance in the next phase of their journey. It is this mix of both farm type and stage of journey that we feel brings about incredible diversity to the conversations and support that comes from each cohort of producers completing the Program. There is so much that can be learned from others, even if they are striving to achieve different versions of success.
1) Induction is with Sprout and a small group of producers, you get to meet your cohort of fellow SPP participants, meet sponsors, enjoy lunch and then take part in an afternoon business planning session with one of our Sprout subject matter experts.
2) The educational units include both core subjects and electives, which cover topics such as Finance and business planning, Marketing, Ecommerce, Social media, Value-adding, Market gardening, Soil health, Freight and Logistics and Exporting, just to name a few.
3) Additionally, during the first year as a Sprout Producer, they participate in six on-farm Sprout Producer days where they get to visit other Sprout Producers and see what issues they have and learn about how they do things, as well as sharing in the mentorship of a Sprout Board or subcommittee member or sponsor on-site during the farm walk-through; and
4) Producers are also offered four free half-hour phone or Skype mentoring sessions on any area they need help in. Mentoring can exceed the half an hour per session and will be charged at a reduced hourly rate.
The key benefits include:
- Access to a network of knowledgable mentors with diverse skills
- Access to customers and sponsors
- Opportunity to learn about soil health, business planning, marketing and more
- Becoming a part of a community of producers who provide support and friendship
- Opportunity for media coverage
Scholarships & Sponsors
The program is offered as a fully paid scholarship, which is made possible from generous donations from individuals in our local community, or from local organisations here in Tasmania. This scholarship is worth $2,000 per producer.
We would like to say thank you to our Sprout Producer Program Sponsors for making the scholarships in the program available for the 4th year in a row, for 2018.
We would also like to acknowledge the support from individuals who donate funds through to Sprout, to enable these scholarship to continue.
If you are interested in becoming a Sprout Producer, get in touch with Jennifer Robinson, our General Manager to register your interest - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hear from our past and current SPP participants
The 2018 scholarship recipients have been announced, click here to read about them.
Lisa Britzman & David Peck – Campo de Flori (SPP 2017, current)
“We know we would have been lost without Sprout this year and they have helped to turn our farm around and we believe we have accomplished the goals we had in mind when we came to Sprout a year ago and that Campo de Flori may now have a bright future. Most importantly it has given us the confidence that we need to move forward.”
Hermione Hickling – Longley Organic Farm (SPP 2017, current)
“We have gained confidence, networks and skills to take our business to the next level! Their (Sprout’s) model is highly effective; I think they are a much needed support for the small farm sector in Tasmania.”
Trish MacFarlane – Three Peaks Organics (SPP 2015, graduate)
“I want people to know how important Sprout and the Spout Producers Program is for small producers. It gives us a voice (sometimes when we have lost our own) and the ability to build relationships with many different people across many different spectrums of business, from farming to accounting, soil, water, product diversification, markets, branding, etc. It is the entire reason our farm is where it is today as it has pointed us in the right direction after having been completely pulled apart piece by piece on our field day (all those years ago) and to then be completely refocused and rebuilt. If it was not for the ongoing support and guidance from Sprout that many of us have, we may well have closed our doors by now.”
Listen to some Sprout Producer Graduates talk about their experience...
Lucy Headlam from Headlam Farm (2015 SPP Graduate)